Thursday, January 23, 2014

Our Debate on Uniform Modesty Rules at School

Hey class, great responses on debate topics.  I think you really gave it some thought and then dared speak out.  Well done.  Below are a more samples of some arguments pro and con on one of the interesting issues.
Way to go.  Watch for the topic for next week.  You rock.  

The Modest Uniform Dress Code Debate:     

Pro,  Yes We need a code,  
Con:  No, We should not have a dress code.  
  1. Yes, because if no code, where does the line draw?  PJ’s to school?  What if you don’t wear PJ’s to bed?
  2. No, free speech.  Free expression.  I am not defined by what I wear. 
  3. Yes, because so much of our world is defined by what we wear like power suits, military uniforms.  It is a serious disadvantage to look poor trash and act poor trash. 
  4. No, because trash is in the eye of the beholder and too much is left to personal discernment and old fashioned prudery.  
  5. Yes, because the culture of society is based on founding principles of community and getting along means defining social mores and having a safe law in place. (creeps and indecent exposure.)  
  6. No, because we must trust in the goodness of basic human nature.  We get what we expect, so expect the best.   
  7. Yes, in a perfect society but we are dealing with teen infallibility and immaturity and in reality you can’t choose whether it’s that cute guy from the football team you are wowing, or the sixty-year old shop teacher.  
  8. No, because such a code insinuates that men can’t control themselves.
  9. Yes, Despite the fact that people think guys shouldn’t be normal guys, I shouldn’t have to be perpetually humming a hymn to stay focused at school. 
  10. No, I exercise my free speech and power by choosing what I wear.  We know appearance is power, one would argue all advertising is based on this concept.  So if I want to use my appearance as power, who are you to stop me. 
  11. Yes, because having no dress code would not help economics.  We need to spend for America!
  12. No, because if we want to change a culture, we must start somewhere.  We can be the voice for change if we just stop seeing bodies as sexual objectification, like being naturally naked in Africa. 
  13. Yes, Because Africa has AIDS, so we should have a modest expectation for a dress code.    
  14. No, my actions don’t dictate your actions.
  15. Yes, because we don’t live in a vacuum of perfection and everybody is a part of the circle of life. Ebbing, flowing, and (how long do I have to talk?)
  16. No, why is this such a big deal.  If you make it a big deal it will be a big deal.  Just Chill.  
  17. Yes, we need a dress code because pure science proves the natural man is built to respond to natural women, and wearing clothes that encourage normal autonomic responses is distracting.  Stop trying to stop me from being normal. 
  18. No, I think people need to be able to put forth all they have and stop pretending and concealing by hiding the real them.   And I’d love it. 
  19. Yes, the less you reveal, the more people wonder.  Don’t bare yourself and soul on fb and twitter while you are at it.  Hold something back people. 
  20. No, if science says we are so desperate to procreate, I’m just helping along the process. 
  21. Yes, despite the cultural norm of letting it all hang out, it’s time for some privacy.  We don’t need to see it all and it’s not attractive any more when you do. 
  22. No, why should I care what anyone else thinks. 
  23. Yes, Rules/Laws are created to help us all live together peaceably.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Tell me you got this comment in class and I will reward with CANDY. JUST for YOU!